Who Am I?

Vortex_interiorSo my initial plan was to write a post covering the first four chapters of The Untethered Soul.  Well here’s the skinny – that isn’t going to happen.  So my new and improved plan at this moment is to just start with this question:  Who Am I?

The book opens by giving examples of how we perceive and define ourselves. Perhaps if you were asked the question, your immediate response would be that you are a parent, sibling, friend, or employee.  But is that really WHO we are?  No.  I recognize that my role as a friend or employee does not truly define who I am. As an example, I could cease to be friends with someone but I would still be me. The same is true with employment status. It doesn’t definitively define your existence.

Ok well let’s look at this physically. I am a tall woman who has been 29 years old for quite a while.  So does that define me?  Once again, it really doesn’t.  If I get shorter with age or ultimately decide that 29 has to go, I no longer fit those categories.  So do I stop being me?  Nope.

Well so then who am I if I’m not what I look like or the roles I serve?  Perhaps I am my thoughts and emotions.  But maybe not because those can clearly change and be changed in a split-second.

If I peel back the layers, I can see that I am the one who is having all these experiences and perceiving the occurrences happening around me.  Please notice that I didn’t say “the person” or “the human” because to me, we are so much more than that.

So with all that in mind, who do you think YOU are?  I would love to read your thoughts on the question.  Are we more than our experiences and the roles we play each day?

1. Yaz
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 02:37:42

Through a similar stripping down process as you’ve demonstrated here, I’ve discovered that I am not just aware of life, I am awareness itself. The mind sort of boggles, but when we strip everything away, that’s all we seem to be left with.

2. The Presents of Presence
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 05:47:37

Wow ~ this was a great post, but then, they always are when I visit with you! So thought-provoking that I know I can’t just type in who I am in this comment box without really thinking and trying to define myself. I will come back to share soon. xo

3. dianasschwenk
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 07:39:15

I am an encourager, empowerer and that’s all I got this early in the morning!

4. Gneiss Moon
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 09:55:14

I’m am an observer, an antenna, a communicator, a creator, a bridge and a balancer. I am the fulcrum, the catalyst and the phoenix.
    I am the Divenusian.

5. 1girl4adamwest
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:48:50

Hiya! This books sounds super interesting!!!! I will be reading this book after I finish up the book I’m on now (it’s my first book about philosophy) it’s called Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder. As for who am I? I have the answer on my wordpress page, you will have to come visit me to find out. hee hee!

Aug 30, 2013 @ 14:24:40

I went to your page hoping for a new awesome post but I didn’t see anything since June (and of course that was awesome!). I so want to buy you a computer when I win the lottery. I want to read more of those posts that I know are kicking around in that head of yours! :)

• 1girl4adamwest
        Aug 30, 2013 @ 16:39:25

You are Beautiful my friend!! Thank you for being YOU! I do have so much swirling around its almost driving me cookoo! Ha! One day you will see a post and thank you for not giving up on my writing!! (((Mega Hugs)))

Aug 31, 2013 @ 15:22:42

I know you aren’t giving up! It’s not your style. :). And you dear girl are as beautiful as they come. Thank you for always inspiring me – really you do.

6. Heidi Farmer
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 21:06:21

Oh this is going to be so much better in person!!

Heidi

7. Marylin Warner
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 16:38:07

Good summary of why the basic answers don’t work. When I first read THE UNTETHERED SOUL, my response was that I am who and what I am depending on the sorrow, the joy, the challenge and the energy at that moment. I change with the pushes and pulls around me, but deep in my core I am still me, just not totally defined.

8. maggiemyklebust
    Aug 31, 2013 @ 03:19:42

The first thought that comes to my mind is, I’m a caretaker. Always trying to make things right for the people around me… But is that truly who I am?
    This is definitely food for thought…