Day 32, 33 and 34 – Group Energy and the Individual Element

This is how I plan to age. I adore this gal’s sass!

The past few days have been filled with an abundance of social fun.  Although I enjoy getting together with friends on occasion, this week has been exceptionally busy.  Days 32 and 33 involved two separate girls’ night out (this is like Venus traversing the sun twice in a row) and Day 34 was all about family get togethers.  The interesting part for me was noticing how the dynamics of the various groups came together to make or break the outings.  And for better or worse, I was able to experience both.

On day 32, a handful of us went to check out the movie “Rock of Ages”.  If you combine a so-so story, fun 80’s music, and eight women who love to laugh, you will have a great time.  I should warn you to take caution if you are lactose intolerant as there is a high content of cheese in this film.  Nevertheless it was fun and I highly enjoyed singing along with the rest of the girls.  And even more shocking, we all agreed that Tom Cruise effectively managed to portray a version of weird that was above and beyond his own persona.  Way to go Tom.

This GNO (girls’ night out) was really really fun.  There were no hiccups, the group got along singingly well, and I came home laughing as I walked in the door.  I’m not much of a drinker (I may order one glass of wine and take two sips if I am feeling wild) so it wasn’t because of that.  I just had that feeling of being young and silly and full of laughter and life.  This was $20 well spent.

So now we move on to the Day 33 GNO, and this was a horse of a different color.  Although this get together was with a different group of girls, I was equally excited to see them.  I love them dearly and feel so at ease and happy when I am around them.  We met to have dinner in celebration of a friend’s birthday.  I don’t want to get too heavy into the details so I’ll just give you the big ugly summary.  One girl whom I don’t see very often joined us for the meal and proceeded to show a wine bottle who was boss.  And then she decided to share the love with the entire restaurant.  It was baaaaaad.

In college and grad school, I participated in well more than my share of drunken stupidity and annoying public behavior.  Personally I still have a drink every now and then.  And if I don’t feel like it (which is 99% of the time), I really don’t care in the slightest if the other people around me have a drink.  It just isn’t a big deal to me on any level.  But it becomes a big deal when your drinking spoils my friend’s birthday, takes away from our meal, and offends a roomful of families with small children.  At that moment, I begin to think that perhaps it is time to reevaluate your beverage options.  When I got home that night, I felt like I was wearing a two hundred pound jacket filled with yuck, and I couldn’t have been more relieved that it was over and done.  How sad yet interesting to see how one person can shift the energy for so many people.

Fast forward to Day 34.  This was all about families getting together.  There was one incident regarding one little monkey’s inability to go down a large pool slide because of her shrimpiness.  But beyond that, the whole day was wonderful.  We added more fun memories to the stockpile.

My point with all this is that it is really important to maintain awareness of the energy you are putting out there whether you are alone or with a group.  The group energy can be so much fun but it can also become a collective downer if one person doesn’t recognize that their choices are creating a negative ripple (or tidal wave in some cases).  I am a master of creating storms when something upsets me, but I would rather be a master of going with the flow and continuing to raise the collective vibe regardless of the circumstances.  I know we have the power to do this.

And on that note, I leave you with something that will make you smile.  Seriously – how can you see this picture and not smile??  This is a man finding his joy and happiness in a group – and I think that the joy and happiness he found go by the names Carmen and Mamacita!

1. writerwannabe763
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 20:46:05

Sounds like some interesting and eventful outings…it’s too bad about the negative one though…Diane

Jul 01, 2012 @ 12:40:42

It was a shame that it ended like that, but my thinking is that it will give us something to remember and hopefully laugh about for years. Also it was a great reminder about how we can have such an impact on everyone around us – good or bad. :)

2. writerwannabe763
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 10:32:03

Hi again…I’ve nominated you (which I see you have before) for the Versatile Blogger Award…but guess what …you’ve got it again….Diane..details http://hometogo232.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/joy-sometimes-comes-in-threes/

3. Bees Knees Photography LLC
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 16:31:41

What an excellent post on how we can contribute to the positive (or negative) energy in a group!

Jul 01, 2012 @ 17:55:29

I am notorious for temper tantrums so it is written with my own bad behavior in mind. They are rare but they pack a seriously grouchy punch. Work in progress, right? ;)

4. Brother Jon
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 22:55:47

You know what’s better than seeing a Grandma throwing up the horns?……Nothing. That is awesome. And being able to include a pic from one of my most favorite movies too, Oz. How do you do it?

Jul 02, 2012 @ 09:16:13

The magic of Google baby! And I love that you knew the movie reference. Of course it’s a classic but sometimes I think people will forget it for that very reason. I think I need to write a post about that movie… Hmmm….